Wednesday, February 21, 2018

In The Non-Fiction Corner--The Zookeeper's Secret


In the Non-Fiction Corner With Lauren


I am going to be honest here. When I first was asked if I wanted to read this book, I had neverheard of it. But once I saw the title, I knew I had to have it. I was intrigued about what it could possibly be about, but I didn't care, if it's about a zoo count me in! (I'm an animal lover.) And guess what? Not only does the title capture attention, but the book does the same. It is unique and a novelty.  I have never read a book with the same message, or even heard of one. The authors did a remarkable job of writing about what is on everyone's mind, but isn't an everyday, run-of-the-mill book topic.

Just like I was, you are probably wondering what the zookeeper's secret is. According to Thompson and Bunderson, zookeepers have figured out something that many of us have not. They have found their calling in life. No, not just their career. Their calling, where their passion and talents meet, where they make a difference, where they couldn't leave or find happiness elsewhere even if they tried. The authors surveyed over a thousand zookeepers and found that these men and women are truly happy, even if their job is sometimes smelly or very labor intensive. They love it because they get to serve. They are a part of something bigger than themselves. And isn't that what we all want? The authors then spend the rest of the book helping readers to understand what a calling is, how to find yours and how to avoid pitfalls that could stop you along the way. They use many stories and examples of people who found their calling, so every reader is bound to find one that they can relate to. My favorite chapter of the book talked about how you have to start moving, in any direction.. The Lord can't get you to where He needs you if you aren't willing to take the first step. But once you're on your way he can direct your course. 

At the beginning of the book, Thompson and Bunderson talk about how when we are children we know what we want to be when we grow up. Our dreams are huge and we plan on changing the world. As we grow older, fears or doubts get in the way, and we forget our hopes. My mind kept taking me back to a picture I drew in kindergarten of what I wanted to be when I grew up. In the picture, I wore a pink dress and was teaching a room full of children. Twenty-six-year-old Lauren had forgotten, but a very back and forth path has brought me back to what five-year-old Lauren always knew, that I love to  teach. As of this week, I will be able to make that dream a reality and I couldn't be more excited.

This book is perfect. I love what it encourages, and that we can find our calling with the help of the Lord. He won't let us mess it up, and sometimes he even lets our calling find us. 

You can get your copy here

Don't forget to scroll all the way down and enter the giveaway!

Here's the back copy:

Perhaps your professional and other life ambitions are simply a means to an end—a way to pay the bills or pursue a lifestyle. But what if there was something more? What if you could have success and fulfillment in equal measure? In response to these fundamental questions, Professors Jeff Thompson and Stuart Bunderson draw on research, personal experience, and gospel truths to dispel common myths that can stand in the way of seeking your true calling, the work that brings the greatest meaning and satisfaction to your life. Is there only one true calling for you? Can you still find your calling if you choose to stay at home? What if your calling doesn’t pay enough to live on? Discover the answers to these questions and many more as you learn to tap into the spiritual gifts of God and realize how your talents can bring gratification to your life and blessings to those around you. Brimming with practical activities and applications, this guidebook to pursuing your ideal life’s work will inspire the confidence you need to translate aspiration into action.

No comments: