Tuesday, May 9, 2017

The Research Rabbit Hole

So, in a scene for my work in progress, there's this big fight scene and some plexiglass gets shot. I didn't know if it would make a tiny little hole or shatter like it does in the movies. So I got caught in a research rabbit hole today watching all kinds of Youtube videos and reading articles about the differences between bulletproof glass, plexiglass, and safety glass and what happens when you shoot at it, beat it with a hammer, and even whack at it with an axe.

I learned so many things! Did you know that in the movies, it's really just sugar that they've applied a process to so it will shatter a certain way? And that safety glass isn't really all that safe. Look at this video:


You would be surprised how many awesome videos there are and different ways there are of "testing" it to see how much violence certain glass can take. I had a great time and really learned a lot.

The downside is, of course, that I won't use more than three sentences about it in my book, if that. Sigh. But, I'm sure that information will come in handy someday. At least that's what I tell myself.

Before you feel too sad for me, though, the life of a writer is never dull, that's for sure! And I'm a Youtube expert on so many weird things that I can be fun at a party. Well, a writer's party, maybe, where people understand why you know a lot of details about strange things. Haha!

Now that I've come up for air from my "rabbit hole" I really need to get back to writing this amazing and authentic fight scene. I'll be sure to point it out to you when it's published, just so you can see how it all turns out!

No comments: