Thursday, September 29, 2016

My Thoughts on Designated Survivor and The Blacklist

Designated Survivor

I am really loving Designated Survivor so far. There are times, though, when I want Tom Kirkman's character to have a little Jack Bauer in him. Don't run away from the chaos and hide in an empty room! Shout and flip a table! Haha.

On a more serious note, I really do like how the show is taking relevant societal issues and shining a light on them. I'm enjoying the little conspiracies that are developing and how one man is trying to keep a country together as well as his own family. Tom seems a little weak at times, which I think is realistic, and he's dealing with a thousand problems coming at him in warp speed, while also mourning a lot of his friends and colleagues. I like that there is a very diverse cast that add a voice into the narrative, and each one brings a lot of emotional shades and layers to the table. I think the casting is superb and I'm wishing every week that each episode was two hours long so the story can unfold faster since the plot is so riveting. But really, who wouldn't turn in to watch Kiefer Sutherland? He is fantastic.

The Blacklist

I also enjoyed the season premiere of Blacklist last week. I'm a little sad they're doing a Find Liz thing again this season since we had that last season, but at least there's the father twist of Kirk this time around. I like seeing Red use his resources and yet be on his heels a bit. He's usually so unflappable, except when it come to Elizabeth.

I'm hoping the writers are going to give us some solid answers as to their relationship this season instead of just jerking us around. I am so glad that Ressler is standing by Liz, even with her lies, but I thought it was totally realistic that Samar didn't agree and pointed out that a lot of Liz's problems are a result of her own poor choices. Hopefully that kind of truth-telling continues and Liz's character can actually do some real growth. My heart is going out to Mr. Kaplan, though. Betraying Red is never a good idea and you know there's going to be consequences. She's still a little mysterious as to what her endgame is, but what was that little kiss about with the bad guy dressed in western wear? Hopefully we find out more tonight! I can't wait.

Did you watch? What did you think?

No comments: