Wednesday, April 20, 2016

The Glamorous Life Of A Writer

I have been knee deep in final edits today. I was up at 6:30 a.m. and was still in my pajamas when it was time to take my little boy to storytime. At 11:00 a.m. (Okay, we took a few play breaks so he didn't go crazy while I worked. Blocking out scenes with Legos and painting stick figures of my characters is actually really helpful and it doubles as playtime!) I did manage to feed him before we went and he was suitably dressed to go out in public, so there's that little success.

After storytime and carpool, I was back at my edits. My older children stepped up to help with picking up at a track meet and dropping off at a playdate so I could just squeeze in a few more pages. They even went to the pizza place and got dinner for us so I didn't have to cook and they didn't have to starve. (There was leftovers, of course, but who would pick that over pizza?)

I also bribed my older son to take my little ones out for slurpees so I could finish the very last chapter edits.  (I'm looking at it as encouraging a strong sibling bond as well as giving me a bit more time for edits.)

My husband put my babies to bed and made sure I didn't have any other distractions so I could stay up and finish because he's just that awesome. Truly. He is amazing in every way.

And all of it worked! I am a mess, no makeup, hair in a ponytail, I've been sitting in this chair for forever, there are pizza boxes on my counter and a fairly messy house, but IT'S DONE!!

*collapses*

And this is exactly why in every single acknowledgment on my books I thank my family. When I'm on a deadline they are always the first to step up and help. They're so supportive and loving and I could never be a writer without the team effort. They are my biggest cheerleaders and I can't even describe how much that means to me.

So, here's to another finished book. And to a family who loves me.

No comments: