Thursday, January 28, 2016

Living Like A Navy SEAL

There was an article put out recently called Twelve Ways to Live Like A Navy SEAL. They review the traits of warriors and talk about things like being confident, disciplined, vigilant, and loyal. But the article goes on to talk about things you can do to live like a warrior.

For example, the things that jumped out at me were:


  • "Find something you're afraid of and go do it." I have several things I'm afraid of, one of them being heights, so tomorrow, I'm going to take a ski lift and go tubing in the snow. It makes me nervous just typing that! But I'm going to do it. 


  • "Start establishing routines and habits in everything you do. We are what we repeatedly do." Sometimes routines are hard when you have a large family, but I have been working on nailing down a base set of routines to give more structure to balancing my writing life with my home life and making sure everyone in the family knows what to expect.


  • "Write down your goals and core values. If you don't have a map for your life, how will you get where you want to go?" I honestly don't think I've ever written down my core values, the things that mean the most to me and what I would fight for. I also want to make a map for the direction I expect my life to go in. Not to be too tightly controlled, but just my thoughts and ideas, goals and dreams for the next five to ten years.


The article had several other things that made me stop and think. Since I write about SEALs and greatly admire the military people I've come in contact with, this sort of list fascinates me. I think I'm definitely going to take a few of these to heart. Maybe I really can live like a Navy SEAL. Or not. But I can always write about it . . .

If you want to read the entire article, click here

No comments: