Monday, October 19, 2015

Book Review: Storm



Today's review is Storm by Kate Palmer. It's the second book in her Western Hearts series and even though I hadn't read the first one, I had no issues following the stories or the characters.

In this book we meet Storm, a woman who is trying to run a ranch with her Uncle Boots. (I have no idea why they call him Boots, but every time I read it, it reminded me a bit of the sidekick named Boots on the children's show Dora. But the character of Uncle Boots was really well-written in the book. I loved how warm he was and sweet.)

Unfortunately for Uncle Boots and Storm, some of their cattle have been stolen and their part-time ranch hand has disappeared under suspicious circumstances.  Not to mention, the ranch payment is due, but without those cattle to sell, they're up a creek.  I have to say the author really shines in the setting department.  I enjoyed how realistic the ranch and surrounding area was, and it was easy to lose myself in the descriptions and how real Storm's concerns were as she worked to save the only place that ever felt like home to her.

The story goes on to introduce us to our hero, Dak.  (I'm sorry, but I didn't like his name at all. It's never explained why he would have such an odd name and every time I read it, it made me think of that gooey substance Gak that my kids have.) Anyway, Dak is a fairly judgmental jerk in the beginning and makes some assumptions about Storm, which would be bad enough, but he tries to tell their pastor she doesn't deserve to teach Sunday School either. I had such a hard time getting over the fact that he jumped to such a huge conclusion, didn't ask Storm about it, and then decided to try to ruin her teaching job behind her back. Storm forgives him pretty easily, but I hated how underhanded and sneaky that felt and it took me quite a while to warm up to him as a hero after that. They do have some good moments as a couple, (the cave scenes come to mind which were really sweet!) and he does do some heroic things that justify him being the hero later on, but it's a journey, that's for sure. He does have a point in his favor, though, because Uncle Boots likes him.

But the best part of the whole book was the suspense as Storm tries to unravel who killed her part-time ranch hand, Connor. There are great clues and some twists and turns that were really good. While I was able to figure out who the bad guy was pretty quickly, I thought the author had some very tense scenes as our heroine gets herself in over her head trying to solve the mystery. I really enjoyed that aspect of the book and thought it was well-written.

So, for me, Storm had a great setting, a strong heroine, and a twisty turny mystery which made this book a fun afternoon read.   

You can get your copy here for only .99 cents!

Here's the back copy:

A woman rancher struggles to save her ranch, but it’s her heart she’s most in danger of losing.

Storm’s ranch is teetering on the edge of bankruptcy after cattle rustlers strike. When her part-time ranch hand dies under suspicious circumstances, two neighboring ranchers step in to help. In jeopardy of losing the only place that’s ever felt like home, who can she trust with her heart?

1 comment:

Kate said...

Thanks so much for reading and reviewing Storm.