Tuesday, June 16, 2015

The Quilt is FINISHED!



As you all know, ten days ago I started a T-shirt quilt for my son who had just returned home from serving a two year mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. He was such a good sport about it, and didn't just watch me do the quilt, but jumped in and helped me every step of the way. 

He cut, pinned, ironed, and helped tie it. (And did a great job!) Every T-shirt on the quilt has a memory for him and a story behind it, but for me, the real story I'll remember is the quilt itself. Every time I look at it I will remember how much we laughed and talked while we made it. He shared his mission stories with me, the silly parts and the sacred parts. We found our old song favorites while I sewed and we sang along. We spent the day with his grandparents so we could help Grandma help us tie the quilt and then went home with smiles on our faces and sore fingers!

Some people might have thought it was weird to do a quilting project with my return missionary right after he got home, but the fact is, in a few weeks he will be going back to school, and working, and dating, (okay he's been doing some of that already! LOL) and hanging out with friends. His attention will be on those things, as it should be. But right now, this small block of time before all that happens has been my time with him and when he wraps up in his new quilt, I want him to remember how much fun we had making it together, and how much I loved having this time with him. 

Love you, sweetheart.

2 comments:

Debra Erfert said...

Fabulous looking quilt, Julie. I'm so happy that you had this time with your son to work on it together. I'm sure he'll keep it forever. Every time he sees it, he'll remember you. That's totally priceless.

Julie Coulter Bellon said...

Thanks, Debra. It's definitely a precious memory for me! :)