Thursday, June 11, 2015

A Crazy Thing Happened Today

We had a crazy thing happen today. My son came with me to the fabric store to pick out the backing for his T-shirt quilt. He found one he wanted, but wasn't sure if there was enough fabric on the bolt for what we needed. There were two older ladies working at the cutting counter, so we went to ask them. 

After telling them the measurements of the quilt top, both women started arguing as to how much fabric we would need. Here's how it went:

Lady #1 to her co-worker--"You just measured four, almost five." 

Lady #2--"No, I did not. Let me measure again. Hmmph, okay you were right on that one." 

Lady #1--"Well, they need 2/3 more." 

Lady #2--"No, they don't!" *she measures again then turns to me* "Tell me how much you need again?" 

Seriously, that went on for a good five or ten minutes! It was funny/weird.  When we finally got that all straightened out, we realized they didn't have enough fabric, but wait! Both women had a solution. And here's where it got interesting.

The first lady thought we should choose a solid color to have in the middle with the material we wanted in a border at the edges. The second woman said we should do the material we wanted in the middle with the solid color as the border because that would be better. They both were very forceful in their opinions.  One even drew us a picture of her vision while the other rolled her eyes. SO HARD not to laugh at this point.

And the arguing continued.

Lady #1--"Maybe he doesn't WANT the solid color in the middle." 

Lady #2--"Of course he does, so you can see the fabric he wants at the edges!" 

Lady #1--"Well, you could see MORE of the fabric he WANTS if it was in the middle!"

(Yeah, it was super awkward to listen to, but funny! Fabric wars!) and then after this heated argument, they both turned to my son, hands on hips, and said, "okay, which one do you choose?"

It was a scary moment! One of them looked like they could hurt him if he didn't choose their way (sure, she was older, but feisty). And there were scissors nearby! (It gives a whole new meaning to cutting counter, doesn't it?) 

At this point I stepped in and asked them to call another store to see if they had all of the fabric we needed for the project, and they did! We chose that option and avoided any bloodshed. 

I never knew fabric stores could be so stressful! And hilarious!

2 comments:

Debra Erfert said...

I'm surprised that one or the other employee didn't get in trouble with the manager. Really? That kind of interaction was inexcusable. You never made a scene in front of a customer. I'm glad you found enough fabric to complete your quilt. I'd still love to see it.

Julie Coulter Bellon said...

It was funny in a strange way. Something awesome to put in my journal anyway, haha!

I'll definitely post a picture when I'm finished. :)