Monday, April 6, 2015

Book Review: A Heart Revealed





Today I am so excited to tell you about Josi Kilpack's new novel, A Heart Revealed.  I have been a big fan of Josi's Sadie Hoffmiller series and was sorry to see it end.  I wasn't sure how I would like her writing in another genre or if it would be as good as her culinary mysteries. I didn't need to worry. A Heart Revealed is incredibly well-done.  (Am I gushing? I probably am, but it deserves every bit of praise.)  This is a regency romance, but it's so unlike anything else I've read in this genre. If any of you know me, you know I am not a morning person, but I woke up EARLY to finish reading this one, it was that good. I couldn't put it down! It's an emotional roller-coaster that lets you experience this time period in a very unique way.

When we first meet our heroine, Amber Sterlington, she's kind of a snot, but boy does she get her come-uppance in a horrible way. I felt so sorry for her! But going through her journey and seeing her growth as a person is what made this book so good. The premise is unique, the people are multi-dimensional and I couldn't help but root for Amber to find true happiness. The setting is superb and the writing hit all the right notes, especially while our heroine tries to figure out her life after "the incident."

Our hero, Thomas Richards, is just as good, trying to find his way among the nobility and find a wife he could at least find a little bit of happiness with. He meets Amber, the Rage of the Season, and she treats him badly. But their story has just begun.  He can't get her out of his mind, even with the set-down she gave him and when their paths cross again, he still does the noble thing.  But why would she look twice at someone who can't offer her wealth or titles?  I don't want to give anything away so you can experience the book like I did, but I was turning pages far into the night and like I mentioned at the beginning, I woke up early to finish it. So amazing. If you love regency romances, you've got to have this one.

You can get your Kindle copy here for $10.49

Here's the back copy:

Amber Marie Sterlington, the Rage of the Season in Regency-era London, has her pick of men, and she knows what she wants most in a husband: a title and a fortune. Why would she ever marry for something as fickle as love? And why would she ever look twice at Thomas Richards, a third son of a country lord?

But when Amber's social standing is threatened, the character of her future husband becomes far more important than his position. After a public humiliation, she finds herself exiled to Yorkshire. Alone except for her maid, Amber is faced with a future she never expected in a circumstance far below what she has known all her life. Humbled and lonely, Amber begins to wonder if isolation is for the best. Who could ever love her now?

4 comments:

Josi said...

Wow, Julie. What a great review, and I so appreciate that you didn't get away details of the story. Thank you!

Julie Coulter Bellon said...

I don't want to spoil it for other readers because it's so dang good! You really nailed this whole book. I can't wait for your next one! :)

Debra Erfert said...

I love regency romances, and this sounds wonderful.

Julie Coulter Bellon said...

I think you would really like this one, Debra!