Thursday, September 25, 2014

A Writing Retreat, Novella, And Other Random Ramblings

What a day this has been! I've been working hard on my novella and am making some real progress. I'm surprised that this is a little more romantic than my novels have been. There's still some suspense, though.  I'm anxious to see how my readers react to this one.

I was invited to go to a writer's retreat in October!  I'm so excited about this because I've never been to a real writer's retreat before. I think this will be a great time to hammer out a good chunk of my new novel.  It makes me nervous, but so excited! Two and a half full days of writing! I've never done it before. Can I do it? What if I'm so used to writing in snatches of time that I can't write in chunks? (That sounds weird if you say it fast, haha!)

Today is the last day to enter the Stuck in a Good Book Giveaway for a survival kit.  If you want to get in on the giveaways, the link is in the sidebar.

I'm going to be canning homemade applesauce this weekend. I'm sort of excited to try this out! I've never done it before.  I'm just doing all sorts of things lately that I've never done before.

What about you? Have you done something you've never done before lately? What was it?  Or give me your random thought of the day in the comments.

3 comments:

Debra Erfert said...

This is something you might not have thought about for your writer's retreat; sleeping in a room with other women--and not in your own bed. In June I went to the mountains in Arizona for a two and a half day retreat, which was great, but there were drawbacks, one being sleeping on a cot in a room with four other women, who didn't go to sleep at the same time (latest was 2am). I didn't have earplugs nor a way to keep the light out of my eyes, so I got no sleep at night. On the bright side, I did get some writing done, and you probably will too.

The something new? Today, I signed up for the Downtown Chandler's Authors Walk that's coming up in November. It's coinciding with their Art Walk, but this year they're including authors, too. It's scary for me to get out there and do a book sale/signing. I've never done one before. I won't be alone. Two or three other authors from Xchyler Pub will be there too, if we can coordinate things before then. Im excited and frightened.

A random thought… toenails don't paint themselves.

Julie Coulter Bellon said...

Debra, I hadn't thought of that. Hopefully I will have my own room. It sounds like I will, anyway. Whew!

And how awesome to have your first signing scheduled! Woohoo! Don't forget your candy bowl to lure readers to your table! :)

Debra Erfert said...

Oh, yeah! I forgot about the lures. I will work on getting my candy bowl, as well as my bookmarks. Yay! I'm getting excited!

How nice it will be if you get your own room. That will make your experience perfect! Where is this writer's retreat? I might like to get in on it next year, unless it's closed to only indie-published authors. That would still leave me out, as of now, anyway.