Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Author Interviews--What Do You Want To Read?

(photo credit: www.audio-luci-store.it via photopin cc)

I was interviewed on Anna Del C.'s blog today and I mentioned a few things people might not know about me---like who has made the greatest difference for me as a writer.  (You can read the interview here)

But as I was thinking about it today, I wondered, do readers have something specific they'd like to read about in interviews? Do they ever feel redundant? What's the best interview question you've ever seen asked and answered?

I was trying to think of one since I've done a lot of interviews.  All I can think of is the hard ones like which writer has influenced your career? What's one thing you love about writing (I can't pick one!) What's your favorite book (Again, can't pick one!) and other questions like that. (Yeah, I know, it doesn't seem hard at first, but it really is!)

So, what do readers really want to know?



5 comments:

Debra Erfert said...

I know what you mean. I always seem to read the same questions, but they're the things we want to know about our favorite authors. :)

A friend of mine is the head librarian at our new library. And his wife announce that the summer reading program started this week. That hit on an old memory for me. One of the cities where I lived when I was a small kid had that program--Santa Fe, I think--anyway, that was a very warm memory for me. It probably was the first time I checked out a whole stack of books all on my own. The smell and feel of that place came rushing back to me with that one announcement. Yeah, when it comes to what might've influence my love of reading and my writing career, it might've been that summer I spent in the Santa Fe public library.

Julie Coulter Bellon said...

Aww, I love that story! Thanks for sharing, Debra. It's funny those moments that stick with us forever.

Jon Spell said...

What celebrity would you like to ghostwrite for his or her autobiography?

Dream big: you've just landed a movie deal in the Stephen King / Stephenie Meyer stratosphere. Describe your author's retreat.

How do you like your eggs?

What fan fiction are you most tempted to write?

Debra: I, too, have many good memories of the library when I was a kid. Willowbrook library in Jacksonville, FL, where I would get a stack of books and be ready for more the next day. My mom was a reader, so I think I was trying to emulate her.

Julie Coulter Bellon said...

Jon, you need to be an interviewer. Seriously. Those are awesome!

Melanie said...

Yes, the questions seem redundant, but the answers are so different that I still love to read them. I pretty much ask the same questions in my interviews, but I don't feel creative enough to come up with original questions every time and I hope others are just as interested in learning the answers to the questions I ask.

Jon does have some great questions--maybe he should post more for those of us that aren't that creative. ;)