Thursday, May 1, 2014

Beat Sheets and Motivation

Today I have two things I want to share with you that are motivating me to finish up this novel.  Here is the first one:



It's a "Beat Sheet" for planning out the romance in your story created by Jami Gold.  Now, I'm not a romance writer per se, but there is a romance in my current work in progress and looking at this beat sheet has helped me see where I can fill in a few holes.  If you want more information on beat sheets and some really great ideas on how to use them (with downloadable stuff, too!) you should definitely visit Jami Gold's blog (which is, as I mentioned, where I got this beat sheet in the first place, so show her some love!)

The second thing that is motivating me today is this picture.  And my little boy who loves Marvel Superheroes loves it, too.  :)


What's motivating you today?

4 comments:

Debra Erfert said...

Very helpful chart, although my books aren't nearly that length. I saved it and will print it out very shortly. I also saved the picture yesterday when I saw it on my FB wall. I recognized the three good looking dudes on the right, but for the life of me, I don't know the fella on the far left--the one with the beard. Do you know who it is?

Julie Coulter Bellon said...

Hmmm...is he Loki? I admit, he's the one I don't know either! Not hard to look at, though. :)

Jon Spell said...

I like the concept of beat sheets, even as part of me says, Ugh, formulaic. Of course, it's just the structure and there are tons of ways to make it fresh.

(It's Chris Evans, from Captain America)

Julie Coulter Bellon said...

You think so? Captain America looks way cuter onscreen then. Weird.