Thursday, November 7, 2013

Why You Need A Writing Progress Bar



You all know I'm not doing NaNo, but I am writing.  And a couple of days ago I put a word count progress bar on my blog.  Why you ask?

1.  I am a visual person.  I like actually seeing progress toward my goal and the progress bar moving up motivates me to put every little word on there to push it just a little more.

2.  It makes me accountable.  Everyone can see what I have or haven't done.

3.  It gives me a sense of accomplishment.  Even on the days when my word count is low I can see how far I've come.

If you have a blog, this website has some free Writing Progress Bars you can use.

If you have an android phone, this app can track your progress.

Try it for a little while and just see if it doesn't help motivate you a little more.  I know it worked for me!

7 comments:

Debra Erfert said...

I tried to put one of those progress bars up on my blog, for the the life of me, I couldn't do it! They are inspiring.

Julie Coulter Bellon said...

Debra, if you have Blogger, you just choose "Add a gadget" then pick HTML and put the code in there. Easy peasy! You can do it. :)

Jon Spell said...

I'm using the one on the NaNo site. I wish it had different options for entering your word count. It would make sense if I were doing it the old way in Word, but since I'm doing it in chapters in Scriveners, it's kind of a pain to keep adding up the values of each scene.

Way to go Julie on your progress! =)

Jennifer R. Donohue said...

I've wondered where peoples' various progress bars come from! I think they're great fun, though I haven't utilized them yet in my own web space.

Kate's Novel Idea said...

I love watching mine grow! I use a basic Excel spreadsheet when I'm not doing NaNo.

Britney Gulbrandsen said...

I should probably do this. Thanks for the reminder!

Julie Coulter Bellon said...

Thanks, Jon!

Jennifer, you should try it!

Kate, that's a good idea.

Britney, you are welcome! :)